Friday, October 5, 2012

Interview With Author Toni hickman



Where are you from?
Born in New York, raised in New Orleans, lived in New York, and Atl more recently, Now living in Houston again..I'm from everywhere!


Tell us your latest news?
I was featured in Spinal Column Magazine, for my story, and overcoming it.


When and why did you begin writing?
Well, as a child, I always wrote philosophy, or poems, which eventually turned into raps/lyrics.My mom is a writer, she wrote for Essence Magazine, amoung many others. I will say she was a great influence on me.
When did you first consider yourself a writer? As a child, I was a very talented writer, but as a teen, is when I started taking everything serious.


What inspired you to write your first book?
Well, after I had my 2nd brain aneurysm, and realized that I was partially paralyzed, that was a shocker! But when the Doctors told me to stop perming and putting chemicals in my head, I had to research why. This is when Chemical Suicide was born.


Do you have a specific writing style?
I grew up writing philosophy, but I also grew up being hip hop artist, so I will say that it is informative, but not over your head informative.


How did you come up with the title?
The title came to me, I honestly can say that.Chemical Suicide/Death by Association-says everything without saying anything.
Is there a message in your book that you want readers to grasp?
There are many lessons, we use all of these brands, thinking that because they are on the shelf at Walmart, they are safe. But, because they are on the shelf is why we should not assume it is safe. When I would perm my hair, I would never think past the idea of, "why" it was burning. I am hopeful that my book will start us thinking beyond the surface. It has not yet been proven what cancer is caused from. I can tell you some beauty products that have caused cancer in rats..we have to realize that the majority of these companies don't care about us, or our heath. They are already sacrificing our health for their profits.


How much of the book is realistic?
Ha! All of it!! Chemical Suicide/Death by Association is a non-fiction book. All Facts.


Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
My life painted the outline of this book.

What books have most influenced your life most?  
Wow, I have a list. But I will start with all of Depak Chopra books, Unlimited Power/a Black Choice, Medicine Woman, The Alchemist, As a man Thinketh, The Celestine Prophecy,and more recently Queen Afua's Sacred Woman (still reading)
If you had to choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?
Depak Chopra, I totally love how he makes his words pull you to the next page.


What book are you reading now?
Too many!! I go back & forth reading all of these. African Unconcious, The Mis-education of a negro, Sacred Woman, and The soul of leadership.


Are there any new authors that have grasped your interest?
Brandon Massey is a talented author.

What are your current projects?
Right now, I'm finishing up a book with my mom about foods, it is a shocker! I am also working on my life story, with plans to get it turned into a movie.
Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members.
My devine light/Creator, that placed many outlets for me to get my voice out, including Gamed Up!!
Do you see writing as a career?
Most definitely! I have been a major hip hop artist signed to Universal Records, I have worked with great artist musically, now I am taking my writing to the next level, and hopefully wake some of our people up, and do my part in helping change the world..It may be a small contribution, but it will help.
If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?
Nope!
Do you recall how your interest in writing originated?
My mom..
Can you share a little of your current work with us?
Well, one of the facts I can share about Chemical Suicide is that we absorb 60% of everything we put on our bodies. This is why birth control patches work.
Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
No, when it flows, it flows.


Who is your favorite author and what is it that really strikes you about their work?
Depak Chopra, his way of breaking life down so easily is amazing to me.
Do you have to travel much concerning your book(s)?
For now, off and on. But will pick up after College starts.


What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Sitting still.
Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
Yes, research showed me how much of an idiot I have been for all these years. To sum it up I learned many things, the most important lesson was that ALL the products I bought, were not just unhealthy,but these companies know what perservatives they are using, and how they have killed rats. Yet, these same companies still use these perservatives. I only support companies that actually care about my health now.They are out there, they just can't sit on the shel for 2 years. NOTHING should be able to sit on the shelf for 2 years. If it does, it is dead already. A friend of mine who makes all natural hair products says, "These companies are not perserving life, they are masking death!"
Do you have any advice for other writers?
The biggest thing is making yourself sit still. Don't look at it as a whole book you have to finish, but maybe do 10 pages a day, you will eventually be finished with your book.


Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
Yes, my book is available on www.tonihickman.com under the "author" tab. I also provide you with recipes to make your own soap, lotions, toothpaste, deodorant, perfume, suntan lotion, and much more.This book is not just for the reader, but for the reader's family. You can actually spread what you learn from my research to your family, friends, and community. We must stop supporting companies that substitute putting our life in jepardy for profits. We must support those companies that actually care about our well being. Read your ingredients. Get this book. This is not to scare you, but to inform you, so you can actually make better choices about your products. Each one, teach one. Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment